Telephone: 0161 330 1100

Frequently asked questions

How can I sign up for Gift Aid and does it matter how much or little I give?

All you need to do is complete our online Gift Aid declaration form (see link below). There is no upper or lower limit to Gift Aid - we can reclaim the tax on any amount. Remember, for every £1 you give, we can reclaim 25p from the taxman.

How does Gift Aid work?

Gift Aid is one of the easiest ways to make your donation tax-effective. The Hospice reclaims the basic rate tax from HMRC. There is no extra cost to you and the process is simple - all you have to do is make a Gift Aid declaration.

What does the Gift Aid declaration commit me to?

Absolutely nothing! It just ensures that if you choose to donate to Willow Wood, we can claim an extra 25% back from HMRC. For every £1 you donate to Willow Wood Hospice in a financial year (from 6 April to 5 April of the following year), you must have paid 25p in income or capital gains tax in the same financial year to qualify for Gift Aid.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?

It is simply a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want a charity to get back from HMRC the tax paid on their donation. This is a great way to add 25% to the value of your gift to Willow Wood without it costing you a penny more!

How do I know if I pay UK income or capital gains tax?

You pay these taxes if:

  • Income tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay
  • You pay tax after filling in a self-assessment form each year
  • You have any taxable savings (e.g. in a Building Society), or a pension plan, or investment income
  • You have paid any Capital Gains tax (e.g. on the sale of a property or some shares)

If any of these applies to you, please complete and return your declaration so Willow Wood can reclaim the tax on your donations. (N.B. Inheritance Tax does not count as UK income or Capital Gains tax).

What if I don't pay UK tax?

Then unfortunately you are not able to make a Gift Aid declaration

What if I'm a pensioner?

You may still pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains tax if you sell property or shares. If so, please tick the Gift Aid declaration.

What if I'm a higher rate taxpayer?

Willow Wood can only directly claim back at the basic rate but please complete and return the declaration anyway.

However - as a higher rate taxpayer, if you declare your donations on your tax return, you can claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form. For example, if a higher rate taxpayer makes donations totaling £100 over a year, on top of the £25 that Willow Wood claims back directly, they can also reclaim as much as £25 from the taxman.

What if I'm a lower rate taxpayer?

If you pay a lower rate (10% or 20%), Willow Wood can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the gift(s).

What if I make my donations via the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)?

If you normally make donations via CAF, tax has already been reclaimed. However, please fill in the declaration anyway so that any separate donations you might make are tax-effective as well.

What if I buy raffle tickets?

Purchases such as raffle tickets are not treated by HMRC as donations and so the Gift Aid declaration does not apply to them. However, please fill in the declaration to cover any additional or separate donations.

Can Gift Aid be applied to events sponsorship?

Yes (in most cases) - please see sponsorship forms for more details. If you are being sponsored or sponsoring someone else (e.g. someone taking part in running the London Marathon), please Gift Aid eligible contributions. Remember each sponsor needs to include their home address and postcode to enable Willow Wood to reclaim the tax.

How long does the declaration last for?

To simplify matters for both you and Willow Wood, the declaration wording normally covers past, present and future donations. We can back-claim four years and we will continue to claim until you tell us otherwise, so long as you are eligible.

Who will have access to this information about me?

Only Willow Wood and HMRC. We will not share it with anyone else.

What should I do if my tax status changes or I want to cancel my declaration?

Please let us know by contacting us by email, telephone or by post.

Latest Tweets